I know this blog has been silent for a while. Sorry about that. Life threw me in a whirlwind ride and I needed some time to catch my breath. The good news is that I’m back with something new. Since I am not currently taking any freelance projects, the website junkie in me experienced some withdrawal. I had to create something. This feeling was driving me crazy and restless. And so I pondered over what I could do… Ladies & gents, I am thrilled to dabble on a travel blog called Schadow1 Expeditions. It’s a travel and mapping blog and is really helpful when you plan on visiting places in the Philippines. Here is a snippet of what the blog is about:
Schadow1 Expeditions is a travel and mapping advocacy blog of the Philippines. We travel, climb and dive the whole country to enjoy it and map it. Bringing you experiences, memories, and photos of the places we have been to and then map it to ensure that a Filipino would not be a stranger to his own motherland.
Schadow1 Expeditions, or S1 Expeditions for short, is run by Ervin. His blog is a treasure trove of well-documented travels, be it trekking the mountains or enjoying a gorgeous beach. Since his blog has been around for a few years and his content is valuable, I decided to do a review. And so putting my website geek glasses on, here is what I came up with:
- Theme should be responsive to accommodate fellow bloggers/travelers who are on the go and would want to check the blog via his/her mobile phone.
- Theme could use a color palette that is lighter so that it is easier on the eyes.
- Sidebar items need to be re-arranged and weeded out so the important ones stay above the fold. An alternative to this is to use a three-column theme.
- Header image can be made minimal so that it takes less space, making more room for the content above the fold. This gives readers an idea of what the site is about and what are the latest updates with just one glance.
- The “You may also like” links in the homepage can be taken down to make room for other blog posts. The links would be better if they are displayed per page.
And that’s just scratching the surface. In line with item #4, I decided to play around with a couple of logos that S1 Expeditions could use. These are just mock-ups, though. During the creation, I kept in mind that the word “travel” should echo, if not give the visitors an idea of what the website is all about. I also decided to keep the logos clean and simple.
I have created a moodboard for Ervin’s blog, which I will present to you guys in my next post. I just wanted to share with you the general idea of what can make a website that’s already good even better with some minor tweaks. Never underestimate the power of an uncluttered sidebar or the use of the right colors. It really does wonders in giving your visitors a great time when they stop by your website. Tune in to my next post, where I cover in more detail the things that can be done to improve Schadow1 Expeditions. For now, feel free to leave a comment and share your thoughts and check out Ervin’s blog.